8.15.2004

Another weekend has passed. Shucks. Everything’s so fast. Anyway, I was planning on posting an entry the moment I came back from the sleepover at Joyce’s but I had things to do, so here it is…

***
The reason for the sleepover was because we watched the Hiyas ng Arki pageant, UP Arki’s annual real men-in-drag beauty tilt. Usually when it’s late I just sleep over at a friend’s house.

Joyce, Janrey, Leslie and I met up in McDonald’s Philcoa to have dinner before watching the event. Afterwards, we headed towards UP Arki.

Some of our batchmates (arki, l.a.) were also there to watch Hiyas, mostly the ones who work nearby UP. Hmmm…but aside from us, I didn’t see any other alumni in the crowd. Actually, I think the crowd was a bit thinner this year than last year, and the show was more subdued. Oh well…I don’t think any host could equal Argie’s ‘trying-to-be-Kris’ act.

I also find it weird…I don’t know most of the contestants who joined the pageant. Hmmm…oh well, I think most of the contestants were freshmen coerced by their respective orgs to join the pageant so that they would get accepted in the orgs they were trying to join, hehe.:) I know ARC did that! (Swerte si Peter dahil wala pang ganun nung time na naandun kami, haha.:D) Yung iba naman…wala lang, game lang sila. ASAPhil had this rep monickered as ‘Fruta Young’ and he sang a song of that singer, Tata Young. And there was another guy who I learned volunteered himself to be his org’s rep – he eventually walked away with the crown. Imagine?!



I tried to take a pic of a contestant. This was the closest I got so far. I think this guy was trying to blow Sir Alex a kiss.

Hmmm…what else about the pageant? Oh, most of the judges were arki profs. The 4th years got Ma’am MLV (our college sec), Ma’am Ramos, Sir Alex, and two other new professors in arki. Haha.

And shucks! Most of the contestants were anorexic thin! And they’re guys, for crying out loud. Except for this two sad-looking chicks (representing ARC) who were hard-pressed to find a gown suitable for them (hence, kung anu-ano na lang yung pinagsusuot nila that loosely resembles formal attire) most of the guys had no problem fitting into girl clothes…because they are so thin, haha!:D Super natawa nga ako dun sa isang contestant – he wore this draped white cloth reminiscent of the garb of Grecian goddesses, then he topped it all off with the Mexican-looking hat festooned with plastic fruits! Hehe…to people who might know this guy (just in case one of my friends read this and find out I’m talking about his sister’s boyfriend…) PEACE!:D

Oh well, I may not really know them, but watching the Hiyas was still worth the time, for all the entertainment value it provided. Yup…and I also got the chance to meet up with old friends from UP Arki! Starting with my batchmates na mukhang nilamon na ng work, the professors we had in college, the 5th years taking their theses, and the other undergrads we know…super fun! Joyce, we should be back for the Lantern Parade!:D
***
I am currently trying to come up with some illustrations for my cousin’s product for one of her subjects. Her product is rather girly – a disposable type of undies that doubles as a sanitary pad. Cool huh? It was rather awkward for her to have our guy cousins draw for her, so she just asked me.



Don’t laugh. I know it looks more like a diaper rather than women’s underwear, but this is just my first attempt in drawing one! I just realized how cool it is to be drawing ideas like this, a departure from the ‘serious’ ones we come up with in our field. Hehe, patented na yan ha…;D